Help Understanding Coin Volatility on Coinranking?

Hey guys… :innocent:

I have been diving deeper into crypto recently and I have noticed something interesting on Coinranking. I’m seeing some significant volatility in the prices of a few lesser-known coins over the past few weeks. Coins like Kaspa (KAS), Dogechain (DC), and Verge (XVG) have shown drastic price changes within short time frames and I am trying to understand what might be causing these shifts.

Are these just typical market movements or could there be other factors at play, like low trading volume, market manipulation, or specific news affecting these coins? Also, is there a way to filter out such highly volatile coins on Coinranking to help me focus more on stable ones?

I also check this: https://community.coinranking.com/t/coinranking-in-google-sheetlooker But I have not found any solution. Could anyone guide me about this?

Thanks in advance!

Respected community member! :blush:

1 Like

Hi there! Great question.

Smaller coins can indeed have more volatility than their bigger siblings and they often result in more erratic charts.

Having said that, there might indeed be other factors at play. We get a lot of data from a lot of exchanges, and the quality of this data is not always good. This might be due to technical reasons, faulty mappings, or even malicious intent (a couple years ago a lot of exchanges were known to pump their volume with non-existing trades to look more popular). We have a lot of filters in place to take care of all these issues, but for the smaller coins where there are just less trades there is less data to filter on. So issues might occur.

Looking at Kaspa and Verge I currently don’t see any worrying volatility. Dogechain indeed has a weird spike, and I will keep an eye on that one to see if it happens again.

If you use our API, we provide the tier with all our coins. The tier says something about the reliability of the coin data, you can read more about it here: How do we rank coins? - Coinranking Support. On our website we sort on these tiers too, so the first couple of hundred coins are all tier 1 coins, even though their marketcap might be lower than other coins in tier 2 and 3.